Monday, December 19, 2011

Some Facts and Reflections After the Typhoon Sendong - My Heart's Outpouring


"So many stories to tell but I could only share as much as my words can afford to define...the rest of those stories are stored in the vast storage capacity of my heart" - Dang


It was such a heavy day yesterday(December 17, 2011). I feel that I have not gotten over its weight yet. So full packed as an experience. Today and the succeeding days would be something like a moving on. I woke up earlier this day (December 18th)despite my illness (cough, colds, and little fever). I still opted to go to the Church for the 3rd day of the dawn mass.


 During the mass, there were few things that I found so meaningful and essential for all of us mass goers. The priest stressed on our direct responsibility towards our neighbor. He stressed further that one kilometer just downhill from where we are, are our immediate neighbors directly affected by the typhoon. He invited all of us making it our priority to extend our help in all sorts monetary or in kind.

Truly, everything during the Eucharistic celebration and by all means was like God’s cleansing and re-birth of my person. I was like shedding some parts of me that was so long asleep from social consciousness ( though at times I find writing / blogging to be my response to God’s invitation). Involving myself to my community is my faith response.

From my heavy emotional bout yesterday, I thought I would be able to get some good rest after church service.

After the dawn mass, we had some coffee at my sister’s house at the same time, we found ourselves just can’t stop thinking and discussing about it. Few minutes later, our attention was called by someone informing us of some water supply made available for the subdivision. We aligned ourselves at the plaza, met few acquaintances, met old friends and many more individuals whom I have not really met for years including kuya Butch, one of our brothers in our Catholic Christian Community at the Cathedral.

I also rushed to and from when another fire truck came. I tried to skirt myself in the line but to no avail. I went back to the previous truck running and had so much fun. I did not really realize that I was on for a race-like and bout just to be able to fetch that water I need to sustain me for days (still alone in the house...este with my dog).

Though the company that I am working with scheduled an outreach program distributing food (snacks – our product plus water), I opted for a more tangible stuffs to give such as used clothing, blanket and sheets. My sister also initiated calling some members of our family in Bukidnon for used or old clothes (that can be of course used ). We planned of putting them all together to be given away this week.

Going back to water supply, sadly, there was no enough water for all of us. We went home with my nephew Nickey that took over our spot but still he went home bringing all our buckets and containers.

I took a rest myself since i did not feel well again. I ate my late lunch when i received a txt message from a friend that my dear friend Tish and her parents were included in the flash flood. I was told that they were trapped in the house. I was goose-skinned all over with my disbelief. I was crying and crying. But had to help and deal with myself. There were a lot more people that I know were victims of the flood. But, let me cut short my emotional outbreak here. Instead, I will relate with you the accounts of those that shared with me about some of those they know that have become victims of the flood:

1. A father survived over 3 other members of the family that rode with him in their car. When the entire car was shook by the strong current, the wife, went out and was "robbed" by the heavy current entirely bringing with her the two other children. All of them were missing. The husband was in deep trauma.

2. Former officemate was displaced to a far place El Salvador from Isla de Oro, a place left barren after the flash flood. Her father, grandfather and 2 cousins are missing. Her mom was rescued at Camiguin Island

3. An officemate, who after her family saw the fast rising of water level up the knee paced themselves out of the house into the street from where the roaring sound of strong current splashed and pushed them to the next neighboring subdivision. Some of our officemates accounted that as she decided to let go and allowed herself to go with the current, she suddenly stopped making her realize that she was on top of a car. When somebody just cried for help, she automatically extended her hand while the person that cried for help locked her arms. She was happy to know that she was able to help her own sister. Her mom up to now is still missing.

4. One high school teacher that lived at Isla De Oro was swept away from his place together with his entire family - son and 5 month pregnant wife. The son was missing while his wife is in safe condition including himself. He was rescued in Opol ( I am not really certain of the place...but it's a little farther from the family's location).

5. One gross incident I know is that the entire village of Kala-kala with more than 500 families was being lambasted too by the strong current of the flood leaving the entire place barren. All houses were gone.

6. A father tried to rescue his entire family by lifting each on top of a mango tree (3 children and a wife) after which the same tree fell bringing down all of them with another coconut tree that fell and covered all of them (except the father).

A whole lot more stories to tell. But, I would rather tell you also the miracles brought by the typhoon Sendong.

1. Two sisters of an officemate went up to the roof using a fallen trunk of a tree. After they were able to go up the roof the tree fell from the house.

2. A 5 month old baby was rescued at a far El Salvador sea side. The baby was so alive and playful with his rescuers.

3. A lot of people rescued in other far flung places like Iligan, Camiguin, El Salvador, Jasaan, Opol, etc. (coastal areas) so whole and alive (despite the trauma)

4. The miracles of a lot of volunteers in Cagayan de Oro City and from all over the Philippines. I just feel the awakening of the entire country and even those outside. If there was a flood of great despair. There was also a "flood" of great hope from all these people's kindness of heart extending themselves in service.

5. Lastly, as i was browsing my previous blog prior to this writing on "The Search for the True Spirit of the Season" (just type in the search box of my blogsite - December 2011), I found this statement from my writing ..."I guess I wanted the real 'miracle' of Christmas". This same statement put me back to tears.

Though, I could explicitly say that the miracle this season is Jesus being born into this world, this December 2011 Christmas season...the real "miracle" is the focus we have on our brothers and sisters, forgetting ourselves, giving up so many things and our private selves to be one in the struggles of our brethren.

I have also seen so many heroes of our current situation in Cagayan de Oro, the whole Philippines and outside of the country. I take so much pride in saying that we are so like the image of the Father into this world. We are so like also the image of the salvation brought by the Son. And we are so like the Spirit bringing the great Wisdom of His love into the lives of our ailing brothers and sisters.

Again, "the heavens could smile at all of us". The "bomb" of truth has been let down. This Christmas is our awakening...painful as it may seem but I feel so much of the truth of His love burning in our hearts.

Let me end this blog with a letter to my my Beautiful Friend Tish Yrastorza. :
My love and prayers I offer for you my dear friend Tish. I love you dearly. So sweet, charming and beautiful scent of offering of life to the Father. I did not expect such life of yours would just end like that the day before your birthday. But then I am still thinking, perhaps God would just want you to have such a grand birthday celebration in heaven on your birthday with the presence of both your parents. But my God...so painful my friend to have seen you last week with all smile and to just leave like that. I hope you are now having such a wonderful time in heaven:-) But...we are not having such a wonderful time here left by you and your parents and all those that crossed over the next life:-(

I miss so much laughing and giggling with you...with all those crazy stories we had and of course those checking and howdy's if we you are married or I married ...and a lot more:-) I will definitely miss you my friend:-)

My love and prayers,
Dang

PS: I want to remember my friend like that of the photo i attached...I heard that her body would be cremated today...I don't know anymore what to feel:-(

8 comments:

  1. Rest in peace Maam Tish :( very tragic talaga ang nangyari sa CDO. So many sad stories. Hope makabawi agad ung mga victims ng Sendong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I agree with you Cho De...let us pray for all the victims...Amen...Thanks for visiting my site:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dungan mi ug bday bai...! dec.17

      Delete
    2. pde ichange ang color sa LABELS? ky ngblend cya sa background... dli kau mklaru..

      Delete
  3. hi dang....im glad im back to my senses again reading blogs and blogging. I admit I was too emotional to blog about sendong, now im still gathering the strength to tell about this devatation so great I can only cry and cant type anything due to the pain and grief and all, I also lost 2 cousins still missing in iligan and two aunts, and and uncle. But God will renew our strength and will help us get through all these. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zelmarq... oh my it took me almost 2 months to read your comment here...my condolences to you and family...i believe they are in good hands...in God's divine wisdom...oh my i dont know what to feel...but really my heart goes to them and to you and family...take care of yourself...my prayers for them and your family...God bless you always...m glad you are still in shape despite that...i keep on reading your blogs too...God bless you always pls keep writing...:-) thanks so much for taking the time to read:-)

      Delete
  4. so sad to say .. maam tesh is my very good and approachable instructor here in Capitol University , and I couldn't believe that she died after the calamity happen :( though she's gone , the goodness of her are still alive and fresh . godbless maam tesh .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello mamhee...thanks for dropping by...i believe you were with one beautiful instructor through Tish. She was really a gift to those that she was with during her lifetime. I am just so glad you were one of those chosen ones to have met her...:-) God bless you always:-)

      Delete