There was a time when I found myself searching for the right words to describe what I had been through, yet I could not seem to find them. Then I came across this song, “You Know Better Than I,” from the movie Joseph: King of Dreams. Somehow, the words and the scene captured something I had been unable to articulate. I was simply in awe.
For a little background, Joseph was betrayed by his own brothers and sold into slavery in Egypt. What seemed like an unimaginable tragedy and the end of everything he had known eventually became part of something far greater—not only for Joseph, but for his entire family.
The song comes at a point in the story when Joseph stops trying to understand or control everything that is happening. Instead of continuing to question God, he chooses to surrender. He essentially lets go and allows God to take the lead.
And that surrender changes everything.
Joseph's story reminds me of something profound about faith: sometimes, we cannot understand what God is doing while we are in the middle of it.
There are seasons when life takes us to places we never expected—places of loss, disappointment, uncertainty, loneliness, and even darkness. We may wonder why God would allow us to go through such painful experiences. We may question why certain doors closed, why certain dreams did not happen, or why we had to lose things we thought were meant to remain in our lives.
Yet perhaps what we see as an ending, God sees as a beginning.
What we perceive as loss may be a process of cleansing, purification, preparation, or even transplantation. Sometimes God has to uproot us from where we have become comfortable in order to place us somewhere we can grow in ways we never imagined.
Painful experiences can become fertile ground.
The very things that broke us can eventually deepen us. The seasons that humbled us can teach us compassion. The losses that left us empty can make room for something new. The moments when we thought we were falling apart may actually be moments when God is shaping us, strengthening us, and preparing us to see beyond what we could previously see.
Joseph could not have known, when he was being sold into slavery, that his painful journey would eventually lead him to a position of influence beside Pharaoh. He could not have seen the bigger picture while he was living through the darkest chapters of his story.
And perhaps that is the point.
God sees the whole picture while we often see only a single frame.
My own journey, in many ways, reminds me of Joseph's story. There have been turns I did not anticipate, losses I did not understand, and seasons when I could not see where everything was leading. There were moments when I wondered why certain things had to happen and what purpose could possibly come from them.
But looking back, I am beginning to see things differently.
Perhaps some of those experiences were not simply setbacks. Perhaps they were preparation.
Perhaps God was allowing me to be "transplanted" into places where I could grow differently, see differently, and eventually become useful in ways I could not have imagined before.
I cannot claim to understand God's entire plan. I am still learning. I am still trying to make sense of many things. But I am slowly learning that I do not always have to understand everything in order to trust Him.
Sometimes, faith means saying:
"Lord, I don't understand this. I don't know where this is going. But You know better than I do."
And perhaps that is where surrender begins—not when we finally understand God's plan, but when we become willing to trust Him even when we don't.
Maybe the things I once considered failures are becoming part of my testimony. Maybe the painful chapters are giving me something I can someday use to encourage someone else. Maybe the experiences that humbled me are helping me become more compassionate, more discerning, and more willing to serve.
And maybe, just maybe, God can use me better because of everything I have been through.
That's just my humble guess. Hahaha.
But one thing I am beginning to believe with greater certainty is this:
God knows better than I do.
He sees what I cannot see.
He knows what I do not know.
He understands the purpose behind the process.
And even when the road becomes dark, He is still writing a story I may not yet understand.
So, like Joseph, I am learning to let go.
Not because everything makes sense.
But because I am learning to trust the One who sees the bigger picture.
You know better than I, Lord.
And perhaps that is enough for me to keep walking.

Comments
Post a Comment