Monday, January 16, 2017

Just While I am In the Middle of the Flood

taken by Mr. Sigfrid Tong - USTP SHS Faculty

I am right in the middle of a flooded area..our school.  With everyone - employees and students together.  I feel helpless.  I prayed but could not totally utter everything. I am simply afraid - for myself, my students ..our students and my family upland (though i know they are safer there).   

I received calls, txt messages and facebook messages from loved ones.  What happened today?  I came to school feeling tired and weak.  I was sick yesterday and was struggling to get up and report to work.  I wanted so much to be absent.  I wanted to take a sick leave so that I could simply savor the day by getting that sleep which I feel so deprived of for days.  However, I stood still and decided to report to work.  

As I gave a one last look at myself on the mirror, I saw a very weak, pale eyes.  Still I declared, I needed to go to work. As I drove off, I felt that I just have to steal some rest lunch however, I decided to go to the mall to buy some stuffs when the rain poured heavily and fast.  I breezed back to work and parked the car at the elevated part near the building. 

I did not think of any heavy rain or storm. I just continued working and ate some snacks with my colleagues.  When I felt the rain seemed to have poured more and heavier, I decided to call some teachers to pull out students from some part of the university and transfer to a safer location.  

I began to notice the water around us rising much higher and I felt alarmed when my attention was called about my car since water level has reached almost near the body already.  I bravely went down and moved it up higher.  To my dismay and still, water level reached almost the topmost of the car.  

My husband was calling me from time to time.  I was txting some priest fiends Fr. Xavier and Fr. Norlan for prayers.  I prayed hard...however difficult it was.  I had questions in my mind which I honestly did not want to entertain.  But I just felt that we are not ready for such disaster that surround us at this time.  Still it happened and yet I was afraid and feel responsible for our students.

Did I regret that I report to school?  I should have stayed home and be safer.  But, I never felt the regret despite the fact that the car was drowned..without food and very less liquid intake.  I feel that I am here at the right time. To simply journey with our students and colleagues who are stranded with me.  To simply understand how a crisis could turn into a much deeper bonding, helping and giving the last sliced cake I had, last set of coffee that we could share to the students, get a little sleep with wet clothes for daring to move that car thinking it could still be saved, to laugh with colleagues with the extra comfort of laughter despite the fear...I feel I am in the right place at such perfect time.  The flood...this flood challenged  me and my desire for comfort.  I simply realize that comfort is where God is ...where God's people may be needing us ...and me at the hour of crisis like this.  

...I feel so sleepy now...and I miss so much my husband and little girl who likes to simply stay beside me and that mommy's "magic" warm embrace...soon...I will be home my two lovies...:-) ...yawn... I just hope and pray that we could be more vigilant at keeping everyone safe..

PS...my love and prayers for those who shared their prayers for us...God will get back at you with His warm embrace...:-)

8 comments:

  1. Mam Glenda in this time God will always be our protector.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose to reply mam when my heart has calmed down...I know you were in the flood too...but you stood still to teach your students...truly exemplary of a teacher...God bless you mam:-)

      Delete
  2. Praying for u my friend. It pains my heart reading this. But i know God is with you in the journey. Take care. hugs! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly felt your strong and powerful prayer my dear friend Angie:-) thank you very much ...you remain...a dear friend to me:-) God bless your beautiful heart:-)

      Delete
  3. The grace in the midst of the storm... Thanks God your safe dang and everyone. If not mistaken properties are the one's more affected, not the breath of your pipol Lord..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly grace to be able to see what I saw in that flood incident..Thanks ninong Ed ...atleast ...well accounted ang mga tao..Praise the Lord:-) God bless..

      Delete
  4. I literally cried after reading this. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sir Tong...you cried because...you were there with us...with me...with all the chikka...pawala sa kulba, tiredness, sleepiness..etc...thanks sa company ...facing that awful sight ...despite...God was with us...nga nakakatawa gihapon ta ...hay amazing God...Thank you for dropping by sir :-) God bless..

      Delete