Tuesday, August 6, 2013

“The Best Teacher Can Teach Even Under a Mango Tree”


oopps that is not my student hahahahhaa

It was my classmate in the graduate school that mentioned this in class.  I was struck with this line.  You know why?  I have been so dependent with technology – computer, LCD projector, etc.  I could hardly recall a time when I presented my reports without these stuffs.  I never imagined my seminars and workshops without it.  If others have updated themselves with really very powerful gadgets, I still find myself on its way to updating or perhaps buy a tablet to make it lighter for me to carry (huh I do carry big bag for my laptop).  And I could hardly imagine myself going back to  writing on a manila paper or bring a small black board under that “mango tree” while I teach.

Oh I almost forgot to mention, I am now back to full time teaching and counselling.  First and foremost since I am into teaching, I am looking for other means other than the use of technology to make my class presentations interesting. Manila paper can be one.  But as I researched from other colleagues, one of whom is asthmatic, he brings his own television screen attached to his laptop to promote his paperless  and chalk-less (wheheheh)presentations.  Wow that is something else.

But hey, I am still thinking of my classmate’s line “the best teacher can teach even under a mango tree”, I immediately thought  “really?”.   I found it amazing.  I seemed to feel like really my first time to hear it which triggered my curiosity.  I am always apt to any challenge and learn better.  How is that?  This kind of teacher that tries to shape and fit a particular learning encounter with students interests despite the limited visual aids,  can be considered truly the best. 

Hhaha now do I want to gain the title “The best teacher that ever landed on planet earth”?  Not really (hahahah crazy ha).  I am just trying to look for the simplest ways of presenting a lesson in class yet, maximizing learning.  And since I am now connected with public education, I am dealing with simple students that deserve to get what they ought to equally learn like those students from the private schools. 


Hmmm…let me climb first the “mango tree” in order to see better how I would go about presenting my lessons.  Or perhaps the mango tree has a better idea.  Hahahaha crazy me…now lets go to the mango tree and sit together whahahahhahaha…toinks.

4 comments:

  1. Still writing? Wow! That's really inspiring! Good on you, Mrs G!

    Any teacher who would come across this post will surely stop to ponder and think like you did. But I guess it all boils down to flexibility, right? If resources are available, then why not use them if they are there to better our teaching. Our kids need to be taught the way their world works. We cannot stay teaching using manila papers (figuratively speaking) simply because that was how we were taught before.

    But of course there are cases when we just need to be resourceful. I have a friend teaching in American Samoa. He said that the classroom he was given literally was barren and had only chairs and tables for students to work on. The whole set up was unbelievable to him (he's American) because like you he was used to teaching or presenting with technology. But then again, most of us (resourceful and flexible as we are) surely will cope (except probably for a few that I know -- LOL). ;-)

    I enjoyed reading this post, Mrs G! Miss being here.

    I've been writing recently too. Check this out:

    http://mockingbird181984.wordpress.com/

    Regards, Jake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jake friendship...i am so glad you are back with blogging...i miss so much your writing and to just devour and relax with your writing...cge hehe il spend time gyud and slowlllly...gusto nako i savor imo gisulat...thanks so much for coming back and introducing to me your blog site ha...il be your regularguest gyud...God bless you always friendship mwah mwah miss you much!

      Delete
  2. Miss you too!!!! Hehehe... Nagsulat ko kaganina dinhi ug taas nga reply...hehe. Ug sa dihang wala siya ni save. :-P

    But anyway, glad you visited my blog. Hope okay ra akong mga posts. Hehe.

    Been trying to catch up with my readings here sa imong blog. Daghan na kaayo kog na miss. hehe. Glad you are feeling more fulfilled now choosing to teach again...sa Public school, right? That's where I'm heading man pud... in the near future. I feel happy teaching here, but I feel na mas happy ko kung naa ko dinha ug ang atong mga bata gyud ang akong gitudloan. Pray for me.

    Thinking of giving free workshops when I come home in December. If you like, I can give one to your English teachers. This is just my way of giving back for all the blessings that He has given me. Anyway, let me know.

    Regards to your family especially to Baby Mikay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as in super dooper fulfilling kayo oi...wow so a lot of us...este a lot of you will be joining us soon gyud...THEY (students need us gyud)...I am very excited gyud for you to join us...hmmmm and of course you giving us the training...I will tell ms Christine A. (you know her:-) diva heheh) so that you can give the training to our teachers...that would be a great extension of yourself to us...please please hehe and il take my time to read your blogs pud hehe ...thanks kayo for letting me know that you are doing it na...and of course thankful kayo ko nga ga read ka her...thanks friendship:-) mwah mwah...God bless you always...my girl is big na il kiss her for you hwheheheheh

    ReplyDelete