Thursday, September 6, 2012

From a Neophyte Leader


grabbed from : linked2leadership.com

I had a beautiful phone conversation with Mike this morning. He stressed the difference between two types of employees. One is an average guy in terms of intelligence and skills. He just got in the the company fresh from a four-year course in college. Feeling the lack of experience, he maintains an open disposition. In fact, he considers every encounter in the workplace as a learning experience. Other than that also, he values relationship with people in the workplace side by side with learning the job.

The second guy is highly skilled, intelligent and has enough experience to make him thrive in his work in the company. Sadly, he has gone as far as overvaluing his capacities that he has closed himself to learning. Not only that, because of the drive to get to the top, he disregards people and relationships to get his way up.

Mike stressed further that, no matter how knowledgeable and intelligent one may be without virtues would fail him to complete the entire package of a successful employee in an organization.

Someone once told me that IQ (Intelligent Quotient)would make one get the job, EQ (Emotional Quotient / Intelligence) will make him thrive in the job and AQ (Adversity Quotient) will get him (amidst the turbulent water of competition and organizational politics) to the top of the job (he gets promoted).

True enough, one of the major exams that job applicants take is mental ability test or IQ. Lots of companies also include in the package Emotional intelligence exam. I have not really seen an AQ standardized exam yet, the results of these exams provide a very important feedback for management in hiring an employee.

What's my point in tackling this? i have such a challenging situation at work related to the kinds of employees i described above. I can call it a real problem to deal with and i felt that I fell short of anticipation for the future regarding previous decisions I made on hiring employees.

I would say at this time that it is with the second type of employee that i described above that I had the most difficulty dealing with. You know why? This employee can be too ambitious disregarding company policies by digging underground while creating a beautiful front. I tell you, this employee can ruin an entire department through intrigues and malicious talks.

Imagine many of this kind of employee...simple lang...well the organization will rot if not squarely attended with. Sometimes they have the art of telling you that they are not aware and tales of lies will be accounted by them to cover up and appear clean and manipulate others to the level of emotions...hehehe i always remind myself to focus on the behavior so that i could deal with kind objectively.

Lastly, I have just been a victim...verrrrrrrrry painful...I am a neophyte leader...I learned the hardest way...I just gave my trust and it led to betrayal...but the experience won't stop me from trusting...:-) I just need to be smarter the next time around...

At this point...i have a special note for the younger ones (naks tanda ko na)...just go slow...learn as much as you can...there is no hurry...if you want to get to the top... learn as many basics skills at the bottom. Learn the beautiful art of Emotional Intelligence. Be sincere and honest with your dealings and more than anything...even if you have learned many things...it is still good to be humble.

Mike told me the art of scientists. If they want to gain knowledge and wisdom they EMPTY their minds and hearts...they claim they know nothing...and so in this realm, they discover the wonder of not knowing through the bountiful revelations and unlimited supply of that knowledge (hehe baka pupunta na ako sa topics ng science stop na muna hahahahha).

Young ones...pakiusap lang...let's keep our feet flat on the ground if not... the most the we can do ...Let's bend and embrace humility...and don't forget hahhhaha God honors the older ones just like the way He honors you.... I promise you...you will see more of what you are looking for ...:-)

Lastly, I am a neophyte leader and i am painfully relating this ...from my OUCH!!! experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment