Friday, November 30, 2012

Valuing Values Formation




http://mccgd.org/adult-formation-class-practical-steps-to-grow-spiritually/

Last week in my graduate school class I learned from my other classmates who are teaching in the Public schools that the Values Education subject’s time is lowered to 30 minutes to give way to major subjects such as Science and Mathematics.  That one really bothered me.  Though it was sort of redeemed by one of our classmates that Values Education topics are being integrated in all subjects still it did not affect a bit with my high regard and concern at the formation of students studying in the public schools.

When I shared this one to my husband he jokingly stated “we are forming future ‘criminals’ …”.  He added later saying “I am sorry…"criminal" is so strong and harsh for that…but that is possible”.  

Without values formation of our learners, knowledge in sciences and other subjects may lead them astray.  Our students may become adept with all these subjects but without finding the good and how it could better and positively affect the lives of others would be self-serving.  Students have to learn to reflect and put to good use their knowledge.  

Without bringing this to the heart level would produce politicians, doctors, teachers, engineers, nurses etc.  that could not empathize with the feelings or struggles and sufferings of others.  In that manner we loose the very essence and purpose of acquiring them. 

Do you ever wonder why we produce professionals who practice their professions without the heart?  What do I mean by that?  I have seen lots of professionals including leaders in their respective fields practicing their professions with big egos.  Who cry out for respect but don’t even know what respect means.  Who wanted to be called by the prestige of their titles but don’t even acknowledge the dignity of the professions lower than them.  Who always wanted to first in everything ..”as if there is something wrong with being second, third, etc”.  Who would go as far as destroying others reputation at work in order to stay on top of the ladder.  Who would go the worst of killing in order to get more from others.

From what I described above, I am not going to use the word  "afraid" instead "fright".  It really frightened me for the next generations.  Every generation in the past seems to bring in new issues that are being carried by the next generations.  Problems and concerns have become bigger to handle and that schools with its sublime mission of forming and training young minds have failed in this manner. 

I would like thus, to defend that Values formation has to be given utmost importance such that the heart of everything that we do in school particularly in all the academic subjects should lead each student to see better from the heart relating them to how they could positively affect the lives of others. 

The heart to training our students should be the love  and making these same students feel that love so that they would bring the same wherever they would be  after graduation.  If teachers fail to deliver this, then the school fails as an institution.  Instead of forming young minds, we bring more problems to the world.  We produce intellectuals that produce “bombs” in all sorts wherever they are.

Now, Am I stating here too much?  I hope not…

PS.  Hey I know a lot of teachers that are so passionate with their work…my greeting of congratulations to them:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment