Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Priest Shares Three Things We Could Do Before We Die...Here's Mine


https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=Mission+photos


I had a chance to talk to one of my favourite professors Dr. Saturnina B. Absin, last weekend.  She said that one time in the past a President of the University named Fr. Jett Villarin, SJ  shared three things we can do before we die -  climb a mountain, plant a tree and write a book.  For others it may be different. 

Honestly, during this writing I am still figuring out what these three things are.  Even the thought of dying still frightens me.  Not so long ago when I was single and has been single for a long time (hahaahha really long ha), I thought I could die earlier anyway since I found myself just “roaming the world” endlessly and has not really found such meaning with what I had been doing.  So the thought of dying early was the product of frustration of the unfulfilled desire of not having married at what I thought was the right age for me.  It was soo frustrating at that time. 

You see when one thinks of dying, it is like having those unconscious or perhaps conscious suicidal thoughts.  It happens a lot to those that have really lost meaning with life and living. 

But hey let me go back to the thinking of dying at the moment.  I get frightened.  You know why?  I found such great meaning and value to where I am.  Having a husband and a little girl to take care of really put me right on track with life. I feel I have the direction to pursue.  I feel that I need to take care of myself since I have a family to take care of.  Though dying is imminent, yet I pray everyday that I would still live so that I could continue serving my family.  Living today has meaning for me.  Living each day is living for the family I dearly love.

Still I could not deny such invitation and consider that three things that I would be doing before the imminent death takes place.  Hmmm  I am still afraid but the following runs in my mind and heart.

First, is to continue loving my family.  I love my family so much – my husband Mike and Mikaela.  I call them both , the two M’s in my life.  I know in my heart that I would always  be there for both of them until the day I die (ohh now I am saying it heheh).  Loving them both is equal to serving them in any way I can.

Second,  is to teach, train and facilitate learning.  One Jesuit priest Fr. Bulatao directly told me ones in the past when I joined one of his seminars – workshop “your hand is saying that I AM A TEACHER”.  I resisted it at first.  I was then a BS Psychology student.  Though I understand that being a teacher does not necessarily mean having that formal training such that enrolling in the course itself yet today I am into it and even went as far as doing post graduate studies.  Huh…can’t take my eyes of you thing ha heheh.  Thanks to that Jesuit priest that led me to my life’s mission work.

Last, is to write and publish a book.  Not just a single book but I guess lots of it.  I like writing so much even with a lot of “crooked lines”.  It has led me to sharing myself, views, values and how I look at life and the world.  I have plunged and risked being known and perhaps  judged by others but I feel so home everytime I write.  I find it so swift, so natural and soo soo much of God in me shared to the world through this gift that He gave me (Ohhh Thank you so much God).     

So how is it then for you?  Are you brave enough to answer the question ‘What are the three things that you would do before you die?’.  Please do not be afraid.  The question directs us to our life’s mission.  It gives us meaning.  It deepens our connection with life and ultimately...God.  This reminds me of a quote   from Pope John Paul VI:

"Somebody should have told us right at the start of our lives that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of everyday. Do it I say! Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows."


No comments:

Post a Comment