Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Stress Management...Through A Changed Perspective - Gratefulness and Trusting God More...:-)


I have been running over and over again in my mind writing this article.  I take pride with the capacity to multi task over my husband who does things one at a time.  

Let me start by sharing with you an experience related to this.  I got sick one time with "vertigo".  My world seemed to turn upside down and I could not just get up to prepare for the meals so it was Mike who prepared for us.  Almost an hour after and feeling so hungry, I tried to lift my whole body bracing myself holding the walls for support just to check what he was up to in the kitchen. And oh my, he was seating waiting for the rice to get done after which he would do the soup.  And I was so hungry that I could no longer hold myself from being angry.  He just liked doing a thing at a time.  That's my husband.

With my woman power of multi tasking, I have tried and repeated over and over again about it to him.  Well, i tried to give him the example of it when one pre Christmas food preparation, I stretched my arms in the kitchen to do everything at the same time.  There were 4 stove plates on a gas range. I filled all of them and refill the empty plate with another one until in 2 to 3 hours everything's done.  I had my goal and met the deadline but I was so dead tired after that, that I declared to hear Christmas mass in the morning (not the midnight or earlier mass) since my body could no longer contain or sustain staying up late.

I can see that my husband keeps his pace without being dictated or pushed by my "go go get it" style.  He keeps his pace.  Takes a thing at a time and I am learning a lot from that.  He admitted to me also his weakness that he may not be able to do it with urgent matters at home that's why I thought of taking over in the kitchen when there is a need to do that especially when all of us are hungry already and we need to finish the soonest time.  Or my woman instinct would tell that things have to be done fast to meet an emergency situation.

But many times I am learning from his style of doing a thing at a time.  The latest stress management workshop that I facilitated to a group of employees in a particular company led me also to do my in depth study about managing stress.  

One statement that struck me in my research is "Stress makes you believe that everything has to happen right now.  Faith reassures you that everything will happen in God's timing". I am deeply moved by this statement as I made it the theme of such workshop.  

My own multi tasking "prowess" put me on a higher risk of  health break down. In a video that I watched, it stressed that stress is being perceived by the mind. And if there is something that we need to change it is how we perceive things. Stressors are just triggers.   Oh, I find it a challenge to change how I perceive or interpret things.  And perceiving stressors on a positive way greatly helps even as far as healing pains and illnesses.

The most striking part was when I came across Bo Sanchez article stating that "angry people die sooner".  And, those who are susceptible to heart disease are the type A personality, according to him (people who are aggressive, easily angered, competitive, controlling, and always rushing).  What a great shock that is.  That part led me to deliberately reshape my thoughts and the anger that I have been harboring for quite some time and from recent incidents that have emotionally affected me and to really...slow down...hahhahah.

He further stated that our diseases are messages such as there might be someone that we need to forgive or simply let go of that anger.  Perhaps we need to stop working and trust God more or to stop working so hard and relax with our family.

He also stressed that there are two reasons why we get sick : too much negative emotions and too little positive emotions.  Though he stated the specifics of each but still positive emotions have to be maintained.  

How do we have those positive emotions?  We need to be grateful each day and to simply trust God.  He stated that trust in God is the greatest "stress buster" in the world.  Great woooowww. 

Let me close this with a sharing from again the writing of Bo Sanchez on a particular Jesuit priest by the name of Fr. Georges-Etienne Beauregard (97 years old at the time of his writing).  His secret was "I have no problems. Others have problems with me, but I have no problems.”

Hmmm....It is a matter of attitude...a changed perspective at that ...by being grateful and trusting God more:-) 

How is that?




No comments:

Post a Comment