Thursday, January 12, 2012

HOW I SPENT MY BIRTHDAY




after the seminar photo shoot
I woke up late despite the fact that it was my birthday (January 8).  It was  supposed to be a lazy morning since it was  a Sunday.  But then I thought of the commitment I made to facilitate a Stress Debriefing and Basic Counseling Skills  Training to my Catholic Christian community.  I had to continue with my preparations.  I needed to put on more meat in the discussions.  I felt pressured.  Despite of that, I carry with me the joy and vision of making it work. 

Discussing:-)
The idea to have a workshop began with an Facebook message posted by Dr. Bob Ocio. I do not know him personally. Yet, I  read some of his posts from time to time at FB.  His message this time was like that of a shooting star piercing the heart.   It was a sharing of the reality of some suicide that have been taking its toll after the typhoon Sending with the flash flood.   

He shared further of  his initiative of going outside of his own concern being a victim also to extend himself to those that need listening ears.  I was deeply moved by it together with the challenge of the former head servant of the Sowers Field Community, Rolando Mesias for me to extend my service.  

I thought I am so small a number to make such a huge difference.  I saw it, though, as  big and an urgent need that has to be dealt with by a number of skilled individuals.  After that, I thought of no other way except to train others to facilitate the intervention. 
Passionately engaged
I offered my service and the community positively responded to it (thanks to ate Vilma V. for facilitating).  I never expected that it would fall on my birthday.   This is just God's wonderful surprise.  I thought also that  there can be no other better way of celebrating my birthday than being in service to Him on the day that He breathed on me to create that hallmark of difference in the world. 

Days before my special day, I and my husband did not plan of anything big.  Though my sister Gay, thought of something to start up with a small celebration, we still decided to keep it so simple.  I said no to my sister and submitted to my husband.  A simple dinner would do after I facilitate the training.

Participants so focused with the discussion
But then, our plan charted another course.  The seminar started later than expected.  I thought we could cancel it to give way to our planned date.  But then my heart simply said no to what i and my husband planned and just submitted to the whole process of “change”.

Sammy S. doing one one one session
We pursued with the training.  We had so much fun.  It was a wonderful discussions and workshop combined with everything put in place as if a "hand" was putting it in its proper perspective with a live props at the back of the training room…scenery of the affected part of Cagayan de Oro City.

Dancing with the music
My husband arrived in between the seminar.  I felt his love and support.  I felt so much his silent participation including his presence in the group pictorial and during the surprise birthday song and giving of a bunch of beautiful flowers.  I remained composed just swaying and dancing with the song waving my beautiful flowers while I tried to hold myself from crying.  It dawned on my how God made my birthday so special.  His message was like  “  You have just given me such wonderful gift by giving yourself to my people on your birthday…”. 

With Vilma and hubby
How happy and joyful I was celebrating my birthday with my brothers and sisters in the community together with the love and support of my husband.  How joyful it was for me to have ended it with a joyful celebration in the Eucharist with my husband.  After which, we both decided to go home and to just schedule our date later in the week.  We had our simple dinner at home filled with talks and laughter with what transpired during the day. 

My birthday would not have been that beautiful if not for the post of one doctor - Dr. Bob Ocio and Kuya Lando that challenged me to respond the expressed need.  Thanks to both of them:-)  

Thank you also, Sowers Field Community and THANK YOU GOD:-)
  







3 comments:

  1. Indeed, what a beautiful way of celebrating ones birthday.Thank you for responding to the call Dang. May the Lord bless you and your husband a wonderful life together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much. so moved by your comment. I and my husband are both grateful. God bless you always...we will continue to serve by His grace:-) thanks so much for dropping by:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha?! I was surprised and your story is awesome!

    Kuya Lando

    ReplyDelete