Monday, December 2, 2019

"Heart to Heart" with My Students on Nature, Purpose and Calling


https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Nature-Exploration-Being-Human-ebook/dp/B078YDYRQB

"Nature so freely gives thanks and praise to the Creator with its beautiful display of sights, smells, and sounds, as well as through its bountiful harvests. Nature is being true to the reason it was created. What lessons of truth and faithfulness we can learn from nature!" (https://www.loyolapress.com/retreats/natures-goodness-start-retreat).  


Two weeks ago, I gave an assignment to my college students (our topic was on the DIGITAL SELF).  I asked them to leave their cellphones at home just for a day.  I checked a week after that if they did the assignment.  Unfortunately, not one of them did it.  One young lady at the back exclaimed "it is too painful to do that".  And the others followed saying " We cannot do it", "I cannot imagine a day without it"; "I will miss my phone".  And, they generally spend 10 to 12 hours with their phones.  

Then I told them,  "your behavior implies that you have established a 'relationship' to a cellphone...to a thing".  I felt sad hearing them say that.  Young people or even us adults may have dealt with our cellphones like human being.  Most of our waking moments may be spent "establishing that type of relationship".  

Our nature calls for intimacy not for material things but to living beings - humans and nature around us.  But mostly among humans intimacy is spent in those moments with our loved ones.  Those people we want to spent time with.  If a lot of time is spent through gadgets and surfing the net, we failed in one of those  purpose for which we are made.  That is to establish connection with others.  To connect in love.  

I further stated to my students "what if in those moments of 12-hour engagement with your phones, God wanted to give you that special gift of person whom you could spend the rest of your life with and  you are not disposed to notice that person"...They all reacted "waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh".  And, they may end deciding in haste being with a person as described by their "digital and virtual world".

The course that I am teaching is UNDERSTANDING THE SELF.  My audience are adolescents.   I feel that my current purpose is to lead them into the journey inwards to understand themselves better and be in touched with their nature, purpose or calling.  And basically, they have to go back and feel that purpose of going to school first and submit to the process of discipline, focus and shaping their person.  I just feel sad some of them dropped out from school even with free education because they are more busy doing some other things other than school work).

Now am I true to my calling and nature?  Again, I sailed away and failed many times over.  But that does not mean, I won't reach out and help my dearest young ones...my very own students.  I love them so much that I cannot be otherwise being their teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment