Tuesday, September 6, 2011

NOT A RACE

http://www.marathon-photos.com

Life is not a race. That's what I always remind myself. That's why i felt sad listening to a group of young people that underwent management training. They were dreamers (not really bad ha). They've got great energies, aspirations, desires, ambitions, etc. They want more, and so much from life. Hahahhahaha when I was their age, I was lost. I did not know what to do or what i wanted. They must have gotten great guidance from their formators in school. Haven't they?:-(

During self introduction, one said, "my friends landed in great jobs and were paid well. I felt left out already. At my age (he is 21 years old), I know I need to do something for my future (I was shocked...again i was nowhere to be found at 21:-( ) ".

The other trainee added "I worked in a call center. I found my job boring. Having this job now seems like a great opportunity to lead people. I find this challenging. But you see I have other options, too (prior to that I told them that they have to clean the CR and do undercover work as crew)" The next 2 days, both of them are gone. They did not report anymore to the training.

A month ago, one management trainee left in the middle of her training since she was offered higher pay on a lower position given to her by another company (but note : the pay was higher). Her supposed company saw her potential to lead but she chose a lower position since it would pay her well.

Sadly also, a lot of fresh graduates demand higher pay even without experience. They go by the number than getting the experience first. A lot of them want to move up higher fast. How did they ever get that mentality? They want more money for the so called ideal life that they dreamed for themselves and their families or future families of their own.

One of our talented trainers told me the other week "you know what ma'am?, I have been applying for months already and it took me a while before i got this job. I went to a job fair and lined up from 8am to 4 pm. It was just then that I got interviewed. There were lots of us. And so when I was hired for this job, I looked back and appreciated well what I have now."

The fact is, it is not easy to get a job at this time. When you are in a job fare, you would realize the great need and high rate of unemployment. You get to appreciate also having the job that you have (really, the least is to complain).

One time in the past, I was aspiring for a position without any experience. The interviewer told me "get the experience first". I was hurt. I knew I could do the job but still he had every right to say NO to me. Because, I had no experience.

But then, let me deviate a little. Still, I believe any employer could give that first experience to anyone interested to get a start up with his / her career. With the trust and basis of seeing the potential for growth and development.

Sadly, a lot of fresh graduates (those with high potential for leadership) look at numbers than getting the experience. They just want to run the race and be on top...short cut ha...:-(

This would be my special address to the young graduates :

"I appreciate so much YOU ...having those goals early in your life. You started so early realizing these things. But life is not a race. If you want to prepare long term, it has to be a preparation of skills and character combined grounding yourself everyday regardless of what others say.

There are no shortcuts to learning. Do not trade getting good trainings over immediate higher pay (though you can get both at the same time). When you start to feel bored with your job, it means you stopped learning. Even the most routinary job has always something to learn in it.

We can't hop from one job to another when we don't feel like doing it. We tame ourselves, stick with the job and develop commitment, loyalty, patience, etc. Just like in a relationship. You don't just leave a girlfriend, boyfriend, wife or husband because you are bored. Or hop from one relationship to another (one carefully discerned decision is enough even to last a lifetime...char lang). Moments of boredom are fine in any state or circumstances of our lives. There are moments of stillness. Moments when we just allow ourselves to be bored and learn from them.

Lastly, I know full well that you cannot be forced to go into something you don't see yourself doing ( I feel the same too). Just choose wisely. Follow your heart. And go where you feel your skills and capacities are best needed. Lastly, say YES to a job or a career path where you could best make a difference".


I read from somewhere the following statement : "True leaders grab opportunities to lead regardless of the pay". I hope we get reminded with quality, not with with any amount or quantity.

I hope this one helps:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment