Monday, October 18, 2010

Career Path VS. Life Path


I intentionally browse the net to check on a particular blogger that has captured my interest for several months already. The name is Toni Tiu (Fit to Post blog at yahoo).

Yesterday (October 19, 2010) she blogged on the topic "What is your life path?" She stressed on some career paths that we choose but added further that life path is much bigger than that for it involves finding out what one really wants, that is finding one's passion. She defines career path as "how you progress in your job, position by position". While she considers life path "...as how you want to live your life. It’s about working towards your dreams and aspirations. More than that, it’s finding meaning and purpose in your life".

I could recall how my high school years was encroached with lots of uncertainties and fears about the future. Though some speakers have been invited by the school to talk about the different professions and careers through the courses offered by a particular university, i was still not certain with anything yet.

I may like writing at the moment but Mathematics was really my strength among all the subjects in high school (even in college). I could easily inch my pen to and juggle with formulas ...in short hehe i play with numbers. That was the passion. And i could spend long hours solving Mathematical problems. This brought me to win in Math Olympiad and at least won second in our region (hahahha actually team effort yon hahahah chillax ayaw ug panic ba).

So I thought I could pursue a career related to Math. But I liked computers too that even my term paper in fourth year (high school)was all about it. The graduation yearbook mentioned of my profession related to Computer or something related to Math (hehe i forgot already).

Due to my lack of knowledge with the different professions, i hopped with BS Accountancy which made me excel in the course but my performance dwindled and plummeted as i neared the the middle of my Junior year. It was a strong twist after a series of questionings and the encounter with a friend that studied BS Psychology. I loved so much everything about what she said. It was like simply defining an interest that was long buried.

With BS Psychology, it was such a natural way of going out from my shell. It was like slowly studying myself, my world and that of others. And so my graduation was a well deserved end of my college years (getting the "most friendly" award in the batch este ___________ fill in the blank na lang hahahhah). Thanks be to God for that...

But, another concern presented itself for it posted the question "which particular area of Psychology to tread". I was caught between two things - earn immediately and get any employer that would call me first or simply wait for what an employer that would call me for human resource work (which was my top preference after graduation).

The academe responded first. And everything happened so fast that i forgot about Human Resource for 11 long years of my work life. After which, i gave myself the chance to try the job which is what i am currently doing.

But still the question continues (thanks to Toni Tiu for her article). Since my 19th Annotation, I am being challenged by Fr. Frank to look into and consider a life-time employment... this time following my passion...and what i really, really love doing at the moment aside from my regular employment:-) (and while it consumes the 8- hour part of the day or more), i love designing shirts (for the Joyfully Hopeful advocacy - http://dang-joyfullyhopeful.blogspot.com/ ), shirt printing, create and re-create products, writing blogs, writing training modules and programs and expanding my visual power and energy (by and through God's grace) to what more i could possibly do to improve my craft for others to have more life and reason to live.



...and there is one beautiful thing that i would soon do...nurture another human being or beings (char lang)...One day i would just be a free soul that's free enough to tread on my life's passion - do God's work through the shirt, write and write and nurture ...this will be another one beautiful exciting thing that will soon happen...

Career path vs Life's path... ( a shift from I to We) if we just listen to our heart, it will take its shape and define us as the heart is being manifested through its choices. The latter surpasses career path and i could equal this to a Divine Calling...nothing lesser than the lifetime employment posted as a challenge by Fr. Frank...:-)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, thank you for this. I am happy that my piece has helped inspire you to reflect. You warm my heart.

    You are right. At the end, it's about going by our gut and listening to our heart.

    I wish you all the best.

    Cheers!

    -Toni Tiu

    ReplyDelete