Sunday, December 4, 2011

My Search for the True Spirit of the Season

http://media.photobucket.com/image/christmas/JuleeSanImages/Christmas.jpg?o=7

At lunch today, I mentioned to two friends that I wanted this month of December (2011) to be different than the previous years. The previous Decembers were spent in the busy-ness of the Christmas holiday doing shopping for clothes, food, parties, reunions, dates...etc. Just last week, I and my husband thought of starting to decorate the house. We thought of buying our Christmas tree and other decors. But then, we kind of lost the motivation. We were more engaged with reading our favorite books than going out to buy those stuffs.

But then, as I looked around I saw houses beautifully decorated including my sister's. Last Sunday also, there were features at Rated K (a TV program that I love to watch during the weekends) that accounted on decors and Christmas trees so lavishly decorated with the grandest and shows of varied shades and colors. One Christmas tree even had money hanged on it (great woooowww) of different currencies throughout the world.

I was also in the mall today doing some work related stuffs. I saw people busy doing shopping. I saw winter-like decors. White color to represent peace and serenity of Christmas. Wow...beautiful isn't it? While St. Ignatius shared on seeing God in all things. This time, I would like to simply excuse myself from the mall to see more. Since while I am able to scan these views before my eyes, I am more like searching for something beyond these things.

To continue my conversation with my two friends, I simply uttered, " I just want to stop buying things I don't need this month or perhaps not do the previous years buying spree for myself. " I just want to stop buying for myself...that's all and see what would unfold before me and inside me.

I guess I wanted the real "miracle" of Christmas. When I heard the homily of a priest last first Friday stating in a way that Christmas is so commercialized and that we are feeding all the businessmen throughout the world...who are trying to move us away from the true essence and spirit ...I was so struck by it...trying to search in my heart that true Spirit of the season.

I have joined Christmas parties in the past and the present. Rarely did it acknowledge the Man behind Christmas celebration. I pray that all Christmas celebrations would start with this statement "There would not have been a Christmas party without Christ born into this world...so can we all start this celebration by singing a happy birthday song to Jesus the Christ, the Man behind the conception of this season". Wow, this should have been the ...first and foremost thing, isn't it.

Well, I guess I would have a wonderful discussion with my husband this weekend on this. I just would want to share with him what I was able to find out prior to the writing of this blog. I could invite him for both of us to do the search together...in order to find the true spirit of the season. I now feel that we would have a wonderful time together on this:-)

You could join us and be Joyfully Hopeful this season of Advent:-) Let us do some "real shopping" for this season. A real shopping of all the graces that God is willing to dispense from our simplicity, generosity, humility, courage to proclaim the truth of the season, re-build our families...anything other than material things...anything that would move us away from things that empty the heart and lead us far away from the gift of a child born into this word.

Perhaps you can share with me what you will be able to find out for yourself and for your family.

May Christ lead us all to finding the true Spirit of the season. May His grace give us the courage to invite others to do the same ...Amen:-)





5 comments:

  1. spirit of Christmas --> yes it is more than the gifts, christmas songs, party...

    great blog my friend!

    for this year, I just want to do the ff. my friend:
    aside from my motto--> " better to receive and receive" hehehhe kidding aside..bitaw..
    1./ to thank God for everything
    2./ thanking God again for this life
    3./ and still thanking God for our life - hubby and me..

    God is awesome.. Just want to be thankful and share in our own little way --> in which we can be the source of happiness sa uban tao.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello gie...i would like to highlight THANK and SHARE from your comment...so beautiful my friend... and of course AWESOME GOD:-) you are one person that has seen the beauty and meaning of the season...I pray for peace and joy for your family and that you would continue to be a blessing to others...wherever you are...God bless you gie:-)Thanks for dropping by...be blessed always mwah:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi friendship!

    I have been away. I know. I am in some stage in my life where I am dealing with my strongest weak point. I am luring myself into it while taking note on what is happening to me. Fret not. I am wide awake. I just have to see for myself as to how devastating it can be to immerse myself into it and actually do it. I'm stubborn right now. I want to dip my finger into that boiling water to actually get a good feel of it...so I may not do it again.

    Right now, I feel so far away from Him, detached, cannot be reached, lonely, empty. It's as if I were in a cave, down below, looking at this light from above, longing to get out in due time.

    I hope I made the right the decision -- immersing myself. I hope I'm right when I said "I will be stronger."

    I know that I will answer to Him when I come back. It will be hard of course, but I will take responsibility.

    Please pray for me.

    This is how I'm preparing myself for Christmas. Like you, I also want to experience the true spirit of the CHRISTmas season. And like what you stated above, may Jesus lead us all to that spirit.

    Advance merry Christmas friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello friendship...truly i miss you...i was searching for your words in here...your encouragement and care...:-) m glad you are back...i was talking to someone this morning parallel to your situation...i told him "lundagin mo lang"...feel it ...just feel it and engage where you are...I am going to say the same to you... where you are is your time to know yourself more even when you feel like He is far or unreachable:-) i like so much your honesty with yourself...that is where you would be able to find yourself and Him more...just sail ...and keep on sailing...God is present even when you don't feel Him...:-)

    Praying for you right now:-) Amen:-) God bless mwah:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Advance Merry Christmas Jake...my very dear and so beautiful friend:-) God sees you where you are :-)

    ReplyDelete