Friday, December 2, 2011

My Journey with Mike ... A Journey of Hope - First Piece

http://www.weddingmantras.com/2009/02/11/9-marriage-proposal-mistakes/

First and foremost, I was not the regular gal that underwent the process of marriage proposal from a man. It was such a natural thing for us to talk about anything and everything including the plan to get married. So there was no kneeling on the floor of a man bringing that small case for the ring and proposed for marriage to a lady. Or there was no ring placed on top of a cake or sank and buried in a bucket ...este tall slender pretty glass of chocolate ice cream.

We had that long almost 12 years process of friendship, courtship, "in" the relationship, discussed about being engaged and then kept on postponing it until the heaven blew its horns with the shout of "it's too much...both of you are just too afraid to get into your ...."heavenly" vows before God"...toinks everyone seemed to be angry at me and my man.

A lot of people have asked me and my husband the question "how come almost 12 years?". Yup, how come? Time seemed to have drifted and passed so fast and we reached the length of such process. Wow. Shall i boast of that?

We may seemed to have been sleeping soundly for this length in time but no...no...no...hahhaha. Here was how it went...

Mike and I were classmates in one of our minor subjects in college (Humanities). I was taking up BS Psychology while he took two courses AB Philosophy and International Studies. He was my crush and fortunately the brother of my very dear friend Luisa. I was struggling when we were classmates and so I informed my sister that i would transfer to another section due to fear that my feeling be divulged through my very transparent eyes.

But then, my sister won. I remained in my section and continued my agony delivering my class reports. Graduation ball was nearing. I was asked to host it (with a partner of course). And so I thought I could care less about having a partner since I have my emceeing "job" to do. Wonderful and beautiful escape. But then luisa volunteered mike to be my partner. My heart leaped and did some summersault. Yepeey...but of course I presented a hesitant look with some expressions of "what if i would make him feel left out...what ifs...on and on ...". But my friend won. She told Mike and got a positive response from him.

Mike's mom was very supportive. She asked an uncle of his to teach us ballroom dancing. Of course we cooperated. We both had trembling and stiff hands as if the first time to be held by someone from the opposite sex. But we did great together.

The night during the ball was such a night to remember. You see doing my task to host was fun and I was more conscious of Mike's eyes than anybody's in the audience. I showed off my best effort and I simply danced gracefully with him. With all the memories of photo shoots, I went home not being able to grab that sound sleep for the night. I kept recalling the overwhelming experience of the ball that ran for days. Until I realized I could no longer contain the feeling.

Mike extended another year in college while I started working in a school as teacher and counselor for a year. The first quarter of that year i dropped my first clue to Mike by sending him a card through the help of my two male friends in college. They chose the card for me to send to Mike (oh my...).

Mike found a way to visit me in school. After that, it went on and on joining me at masses. Until he expressed his intentions. Of course I said my yes...But I already said my silent yes prior to that.

The first five years were like years when i finished graduate studies and him slowly engaging and finishing law school. We tried to buy a book entitled Becoming Soulmates with guide questions to answer every after article. That was our guide in the getting-to know- each- other stage. I was also trying to do some search-ins with some congregations which made Mike a little distant from me thinking that I might end up in the convent.

But soon enough I made my decision. I was the most confused between the two of us. I was restless. I wanted many things. I wanted to travel or go out of the country. I wanted to bring Mike with me someday but most of the time it was just me.

Mike and I are both very assertive. We liked (until now hehehe) to talk about so many things. But one day, he just asked me to stay after my trip from US. I simply obeyed and plunged into spiritual direction to be guided and directed for life ahead. I really thought I would not settle for marriage due to my restlessness. And I realize I have such wonderful...beautiful man whom I love so much and loves me back.

My journey with Mike is such a hard and strong pounding on a solid foundation. I could not stop seeing such beauty of a God that brought us together. One day in the past I just told Mike..."you are my home"... from where I started to seriously consider lifetime commitment with him so as I could one day finally go home with him...in our future home...:-)

PS:-) How we prepared for the wedding...will soon follow:-)

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful journey dang..

    i see a 'perfect' relationship w/ solid foundation pa jud.

    Im happy you found each other my friend.;) it's a bullseye jud na makita nato ang ato partner in life.

    God is so great and i know He will bless you even more.. mwa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello gie:-) You and I do understand full well the word "perfect" in the relationships that we both have ... so grounded in that solid foundation... God can only give us that...in His eyes...what we have is "perfect" heheh to learn His lessons together...thanks kaayo friendship. God bless you always:-) mwah mwah

    ReplyDelete