Monday, February 6, 2012

New Life



I took a leave from work to face the challenge of a physical exam for pregnant women.  It was my first time to meet an OB-GYNE.  I never had those physical exams that women should undergo in their 30s as advised my a friend who was into it. 

Furthermore, I felt anxious lifting my feet at lunch time in order to make that visit at 1pm.  My husband had gone ahead at the hospital to have me enlisted aside from the previous day’s phone arrangement.  Good thing the doctor had not started yet when I arrived. 

My husband gave me a serious look when I arrived.  I thought he was anxious.  That was just and normally him to do that.  Nothing new but I had a subjective interpretation of it.  I was just anxious (hahahhaha but of course I had my usual communication with my baby – fetus that it’s mommy that was anxious and he / she does not have to be affected by it).  We waited for my turn.  While doing that I was instructed to undergo urinalysis.  My pulse rate and weight was checked, too.

When waiting was up, we got inside the doctor’s room.  Questions were asked such as last day of menstruation, what I took for vitamins, physical signs of pregnancy, etc.  I was then led into a small bed where I had to lift both my feet to rest on a separate extended portion of the bed. 

I was asked to relax but I just could not.  Until a cream was applied below my tummy, where they placed an apparatus that would reflect its output on a television-like screen.  Voila, I saw by cutie fetus floating inside my womb.  While my OB-GYNE did that, I called my husband to join us. It was such a wonderful time with all excitement seeing that my baby is growing inside me. 

I was laughing and giggling seeing my baby.  And while it happened, I felt the instrument hopped a little that made us loose the visuals on the screen.  I knew then that I should just relax my tummy to give us a full view of the “movie” my baby started in his  earliest part of the journey. 

The next questions asked were blood typing, hepathitis, rebulla, transvaginal untrasound, repeat urinalysis after a day and a lot more including 3 liters of water everyday.  Wow, I had to undergo all those tests and had to come early like 6 am to the hospital fasting (without liquid and solid intake). 

During the second day of tests, I woke up 4 am and had to be at the hospital as scheduled.  My husband was there the whole time.  I was taken blood sample and urine.  I had to go through also the said Transvaginal ultrasound that reflects the status of the my baby – fetus in my womb. Then the most amazing thing happened when right before my eyes (and my husband’s) I was able to witness the form, shape, heart beat and its intensity.  I was in tears.  I just could not stop myself when I heard the doctor say “there you go…(fetus displayed on the  screen) tuloy, tuloy na ‘to”.

I caught my husband’s excitement when he uttered “is that the heart rate doc?”  He was just as excited as I am.  I was so filled with joy, happiness, awe, etc. over the mystery of a minute human being growing inside me.  A soul implanted in there with mine and my husband’s humble initiative and participation in creation.

The lunch time we had was different.  Mike mentioned that when he excused himself to go the restroom, he was in tears with joy realizing how real the things that we are experiencing.  While he was recalling his feelings, he was in tears too.  That was one beautiful and first time moment with my husband where I witnessed him in tears.  Our baby moved us both to joy witnessing the miracle we were able to witness that moment.  The beautiful revelation through the ultrasound. 

What followed was a comment that Mike gave such as “how could others afford abortion to happen, when there is such beauty in conception”.  And I added …”when there is beauty with becoming a parent, when there is a joyful waiting for a newborn baby, when life is so precious that you could not dare end it by ourselves or at our own will”..

The overwhelming experience we had ended in a beautiful dinner with the same story shared by both of us.  We thank God moment by moment that He allowed us to participate in His call to take care of His children…through a family.  I am still overwhelmed and awed.  I could not say  more or much…:-)  While new life is growing in my womb, there is new life to both of us as husband and wife.

In humility…I embrace life….I embrace both my beautiful growing baby – fetus and my beautiful husband starting a new life…together.  Again…Thank you God:-)



No comments:

Post a Comment