Tuesday, August 24, 2010

THE UNSUNG HERO


I only have an hour lunch break at work. I have to rush out of the office and hear the noontime mass at a nearby university chapel. Then, I would take a haste (eat and run hahahha) lunch after. Just when I had to rush to reach the office, I was met with a big smile from a man i could hardly identify at first.

Wow!!!!!! it has been a long time that i haven't seen or met him - Dr. Paquito Woo, our family doctor and a real good friend. We talked fast but it seem to be that i couldn't resist anything that comes out from his mouth. This i thought to be a rush meeting led us to sit at one corner to discuss many things about his whereabouts and latest engagements. And wow again. He told me that he is going to deliver again his speech at the Manila Hotel (other than his upcoming travels to US and Europe) for the Pro life convention of doctors and church workers. He related the content of his speech which led me to tears. He was much sought after in medical ethics ( also taught for 10 years at XU med school). But again the tears. I rarely hear contents as wise as his and as sharp and honest as his words. They strike like sword, i should say. They hit the heart and would tear you apart. That was how the meeting wss with him.

Dr. Woo is no mere doctor. His simplicity and heroic act of saving lives of many in the province of Bukidnon led him to be featured in the Daily Inquirer as the UNSUNG HERO FROM THE BARRIO years back. After that he remained in the service for the poor until the present. Before he bade goodbye he uttered the line "simplicity is beauty glen". And i replied..."you are that beauty doc".

And so i watched him leave seeing him also carrying a piece of wood he brought with him as a sample for his simple home renovation in Bukidnon. What a sight. I could hardly gather myself back when i got in the office. In an overwhelmed state i wrote in my shout out (at Yahoo messenger) "it is soo good to see someone so real and true...on the ground".


I thank the Lord for reminding me of His simplicity through this doctor. Dr. Woo is "Big" but he remained "small" and unassuming. While i for some times in the past became proud and stubborn. Well "Big" doctor that appeared small and reminded me of being that. Big challenge ha...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment